21st Sept 2018 – Content will continue to be added, as time allows (winter months project!)

Content still to be added:

  • Death Valley to Santa Paula via Kern Valley
  • Flight to the Pacific with Henry.
  • Santa Paula to Watsonville via Salinas
  • Watsonville to Placerville via Lodi
  • Placerville to Carson City
  • Lake Tahoe flight with Paul and Loretta Hamilton, Marie and Travis.
  • Carson City to Elko
  • Elko to Stanford, via Jackpot, Hazelton, Bear Trap, McCarley and Rexburg
  • Stanford to Black Hills via Yellowstone, Gardiner and Woltermann memorial
  • Black Hills to Madison via Chamberlain
  • Madison to Oshkosh via Viroqua
  • Oshkosh to Youngstown via Starke Co and Bellefontaine
  • Youngstown to St Marys via Clarion
  • St Marys to Linden via Arner Memorial
  • Video and additional images for previously published pages
  • Complete log and data for entire journey and added for each leg.


Checklist time!!

  1.  Coast 1  …… Check
  2.  Coast 2  …… Check
  3.  Coast 3  …… Check

The BZIM’s wing over the Atlantic Ocean

The BZIM is now, at it’s final destination airport, Linden Airport, New Jersey.


The BZIM finals 9 Linden. New York Skyline on left

A final flight will take place tomorrow, up and down the Hudson VFR corridor, landing back at Linden, weather permitting. 🙂


The BZIM at Linden New Jersey



The BZIM’S feeling the cold this morning.

Currently 0640 at Stanford Field (U02) waiting for the frost to melt off the BZIM’S wing and for fog to lift from Yellowstone.

Winds 10mph from the north, so it feels colder than the -1’C reported…

Hoping to be clear of the highest Rockies by today. Thunderstorms forecast for Yellowstone this afternoon.

Hitting the Jackpot

Tuesday 1st May. 11:50am

Short update. Waved off by Ben at Elko. Fantastic person who helped considerably the previous afternoon. Ben, a local, long time pilot with some amazing aviation stories from the local area. Thanks for your help sir!

Diverted into Jackpot airport as a snow shower is obscuring the path ahead. A stronger than forecast tailwind has got me to this area sooner than expected.

Craters of the moon National park is looking iffy unless the cloud-base lifts.

Where am I and where I’m going.

Live 5:50am 1st May 2018 Elko Nevada.

Although it may appear I am ahead of schedule, a buffer of 5 days is needed at the end of the trip to collect items from Homestead Florida and box the BZIM for transporting back to the UK. Therefore, flying has two weeks to be completed.

I would like to extend my thanks to every pilot who has offered hanger space and overnight stay. I will be unable to stop unless it fits with the route and plan. I apologise to those I have flown over and missed already.

My plan is depart Elko today after 0830. Start delayed due to my destination being under IFR conditions (low cloud). Weather due to improve after mid-day. I hope to fly over the Craters of the Moon National Park, but the freezing conditions may stop this. I am NOT flying into the many scenic back-country Idaho strips in the north west of the state as I had hoped, so no Boise either 😦 If conditions allow, I may try to get to Yellowstone this evening, but if not, an airport near Idaho Falls, Rexburg or McCarley field (U02) will be my overnight.

Tomorrow Tuesday 2nd (or Wednesday 3rd), Yellowstone and exiting the Rockies to the north, then east heading towards Billings is the plan, all weather dependent. After that, east to Oshkosh.

As the blog fell further and further behind (mostly due to web access, and photo and video processing and uploading), and my changing method of how the blog publishes, some links may now not work, or links have become circular. Calendar is best method of getting out of any link loop. Live posts will be posted on the correct day, catch ups will be back-posted to the date of the actual flight. This will allow me to post more live update text only posts.

Many more images and videos will be added when possible.

Hope that all makes sense.



Unaltered image of the weather being ‘worked’ around yesterday Sunday 30th

Coast 1 .. check … Coast 2 .. check .. Coast 3 … coming soon…

Although the BZIM arrived in Santa Paula, California, as planned yesterday 24th April, part one of the trip wasn’t complete until the BZIM and I flew over the Pacific Ocean. So, it was with great pleasure, I had my host, Henry Trikelife, accompany me on the flight, from Santa Paula to Santa Barbara and out over the Pacific. Henry’s videos are truly inspirational…. It’s his fault!

The cherry on the cake however, was seeing 2 whales and a calf.

Upload issues are preventing further picture and video content from being added at the moment 😦


The Pacific, feet wet at Ventura